Develop the next generation microgrids, smart grids, and electric vehicle charging infrastructure by modeling and simulating network architecture, performing system-level analysis, and developing energy management and control strategies.
MATLAB®, Simulink®, and Simcape Electrical™ enable you to estimate the sizing of electrical components, such as batteries, PV arrays, and backup generators. These products let you explore system operations, assess system feasibility, and optimize system configurations by modeling the system and running simulations in parallel.
Design and perform analysis of microgrids using Simscape Electrical and Simulink.
- Integrate the microgrid system model with the utility grid model
- Understand and predict the impact of variable power sources and loads on distribution networks and the utility grid
- Develop supervisory control and energy management systems for different power sources and loads
- Use hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) simulations to test microgrid energy management algorithms with a real-time machine
- Microgrid System Development and Analysis – Video Series
- Evaluating Microgrid Control with Simscape Electrical – Video Series
- Implement Droop Controllers for Islanded Operation of Remote Microgrids (3:55)
- Simulating a Microgrid with Energy Storage | Developing Electrical Systems with Simscape Electrical (34:24)
- Microgrid Modeling on the Right Level of Detail for Short and Long-Term Simulations (45:13)
Grid modernization and decentralization have rapidly increased power system complexity. Modern grids include variable generation assets, such as wind and solar, and distributed energy storage systems, such as grid-scale batteries. These grid components introduce additional uncertainty to grid operations and call for more intelligent and robust control algorithms in grid management.
MATLAB, Simulink, and Simscape Electrical enable you to:
- Build data-driven or physics-based models of the grid
- Model, simulate, and optimize the performance of the individual grid components and the grid system
- Incorporate forecasting and optimization techniques in the grid management system
- Design algorithms to optimally control equipment, manage energy storage and supply, and rapidly respond to outages and grid faults
- Deploy algorithms onto embedded and/or enterprise systems
“The versatility of MATLAB and the ease with which we could use MATLAB toolboxes for machine learning and deep learning to solve complex issues were key advantages for our team. With this new tool, we are able to maximize hydroelectric resources, optimize the use of reserves, and minimize costly payments to international energy exchanges.”Lead engineer, Administrador del Mercado Mayorista (AMM)
Simulink, combined with Simscape Electrical, provides an environment for designing electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure. Together, these products let you design charging systems with different power requirements (such as AC charging, low-power DC charging, and high-power DC charging) and of varying scales.
- Implement solutions for vehicle-to-grid integration
- Study the impact of different charging system architectures on the power system
- Implement control strategies that can mitigate load issues and respond to rapid changes in charging demand
- Perform capacity studies to set a proper scale of charging infrastructure for meeting a given demand in a designated area