Neuroscientists use MATLAB® to process and analyze experimental data, drive experiments, and simulate models of brain circuits. With MATLAB, you can:
- Analyze neural time-series data from electrode signal recordings
- Understand structural and functional image data from neuroimaging and microscopy studies
- Use machine and deep learning to classify, predict, and cluster using models trained with neuroscience data
- Process and generate live data streams, including brain-computer interface (BCI) and behavioral control systems
“MATLAB is... a way of thinking, a language that cuts across countries, and a way of sharing and collaborating with other scientists…”Mike X. Cohen, "MATLAB for Brain and Cognitive Scientists"
Behind the Headlines
Neuroscience Use Cases
Neuroscientists use MATLAB to analyze structural, functional, and simulated neural data at all scales, from individual synapses to the whole brain. Experimental neuroscientists use MATLAB and Simulink® to control experiments, including behavioral tasks, psychophysical data streams, and brain-computer interface (BCI) systems. Computational neuroscientists use MATLAB to simulate neurons and brain circuits, uncovering basic principles and helping to explain and design experiments.
Community and Third-Party Support
Neuroscientists using MATLAB can access a rich library of freely-shared community tools built by and for researchers. They can further tap a vibrant market of third-party products that complement MATLAB, including devices, instruments, application software, cloud platforms, and other research tools.
- Browse the File Exchange to find community toolboxes and apps designed for your neuroscience applications.
- Explore third-party products for neuroscience with professionally supported MATLAB integrations.
Numerous free tutorials are available to get started with MATLAB, including self-paced courses, getting-started documentation, and how-to videos.
Neuroscience educators are invited to browse a selection of resources for teaching neuroscience and psychology.
Read About Real-World Use Cases
Explore how MATLAB is used for neuroscience applications.